Friday, February 20, 2009

How much does it cost to run a computer in 2009?

power cord

Here's something that has always hung around in my mind, but I never got around to looking up the answer. How much will running PCs add to your power bill?

Anandtech posted an article where they calculated the cost of running a PC per hour.

* For a middle of the line system, they figured one year of use is $93.51 for 8 hours a day.
* If you let your PC sit idle 24 hours a day, it will cost you $128.12 a year.
* For a top of the line system that is at full load all day long (like a server) you could spend $440.85.

These prices are calculated at the price of electricity in North Carolina. California PC users will pay almost double.


Andy Wendt said...

See that son.. turn that computer off or pay up!

davechaoss said...

I just don't understand why my son leaves his laptop on. He thinks electricity has a fixed price. I wouldn't mind a small laptop but he has something like this that is one over powered machine.

@Andy, I should make him pay up!